Born: 19th March 1850
Died: 22 September 1928
Attended Eton College May 1863 (Joynes House)
Went up to Trinity College Cambridge in the Michaelmas term of 1868.
Graduated with a B.A. degree Classical Tripos in 1872
Obtained an M.A. degree in 1876.
Called to the bar of the Inner Temple.
In September of 1883 he purchased the estates of Daylesford and Kingham Hill from R Nichol Byass, the Lord of the Manor. The estates consisted of 1,547 acres extending from the River Evenlode in the parish of Oddington, Worcestershire, to the Mill stream near the parish boundary of Churchill, Oxfordshire. It included the home of Warren Hastings, a well wooded park, five farms and land in Kingham.
C E Baring Young became member of Parliament for Christchurch, Hampshire in November 1885.
It was aslo during the first year of his entry into parliament that that first turfs were cut to begin the foundations of Durham House and other buildings. Construction work would last some thirty years.
On the 14 September 1886, after a short service given by the Rector of Spitalfields, Durham House was commisioned and its first residents took up occupation.
C E Baring Young renounced his seat in the General Election of 1892 by not standing for the next parliament.
He retired to Daylesford, aged 42 years, to dedicate the remainder of his life the building of Kingham Hill.
Charles Young made it known very clearly that Kingham Hill was not an institution (he detested that word and all its attributes) but a home, above all a Christian home where love should guide, direct and rule.
To this end he appointed to each House a married couple to have the parental care of a family of some forty boys of all ages, and to these men and women the boys owed a great deal of their happiness.
Each Housemaster, in addition to his duties and responsibilities in the home, had charge of one of the trades and instructed the boys in the workshops.
The Housemistress fulfilled the role of mother and nurse, supervised the domestic side of the home, taught the boys how to cook and prepare meals, and to mend and repair their clothes
Within the home a new boy soon became aware that he was one of a family and that his well-being and happiness mattered to every member of that family.
C E Baring Young always attended reunions of former pupils on the hill. The last one being the August reunion of 1928 known as the "Gathering of the Clans".
Sadly this last reunion taxed his strength and we know that he last visited The Hill on Wednesday 22 August 1928 (to Bradford House). He passed away on 22 September 1928.
Click on images to enlarge:
The original crest was designed by The Rev. Horsefield (1935-1945). It is thought that Reginald Durrant also made a contribution to its design.
The School Motto:
Translates as Unto a Perfect (or complete) Man. The words are from Ephesians 4 v13, and in more modern translations are rendered as to mature manhood.†
Comparing the changes between the original design above and that worn by boys from the late fifties, through to the seventies, and at least early eighties, (shown on the right) it is evident the cross, crown and the letters KHS were depicted in gold.
In November 2006 the current school badge (shown below) was issued to our historian.
This is nearer to the original design by Rev. Horsefield.
Current school badge
†We are grateful to Rev. Godfrey Nicholson BSc CTM MTh, who taught at KHS between 1973 and 1988, for this translation. In a letter to our historian the Rev. Nicholson also wrote that the words of our school's motto "are, of course, an excellent summary of the aims of Charles Baring Young and of Teddie Cooper (and many others). The spiritual, academic, cultural and physical aspects of each pupil were all important, and to neglect any was to do disservice to them".